Final
Every week I do a blog post on blogspot.com. What I write about are the stories that I make up during my free time or rather anytime. I translate my thoughts and ideas of the stories from my packed little brain to a bright computer screen. To me blogging has two advantages and one disadvantage. The advantages are the skills you develop in learning how to write by using the comments that people give you and the overall satisfaction of knowing that your work is out there and it is a way to express how you feel through words. I do have to admit that blogging has changed my writing a little over time. My words are a little more how can I put it is more expressive and theatrical. I don’t really view this as a bad thing I think that writing is all about the words describing the life something that does feel real to the author. Which is what leads to the disadvantage of blogging which is that sometimes you can’t really do much if you don’t type very well; obviously I can but not very fast. I have never been one for using technology and most likely never will. So considering the pros and cons against blogging I am on the positive side of the party.
Blogging I’ve noticed has also cured me of some of the symptoms of my writer’s block that I often suffer from while writing. To me, writer’s block is either when I’m really able to write something and I know what I want to write about but I just can’t put my thoughts into words . Or I have harnessed a thought but I can’t get passed anymore than a couple of words. Sometimes to get of it I just right down the idea right there on the paper or screen and just go onto the next part of whatever I was trying to write. Other times I just keep going or I discard that thought so I am in no danger of getting stuck. Often this happens when I get a good idea in my head and I don’t think it through. I soon get too caught and forget to plan for what happens next after. In order to stop this from happening I usually write down a little chart of how I’m going to write the story or whatever just to give myself a little more structure. The chart usually has stuff like what is the story about? What is the main plot? Who are the protagonist and antagonist? What stands between the protagonist and their goal? Stuff like that. Sometimes I can never get out of a writer’s block I can name countless stories I have thrown out the window because I lost their plots somewhere along the way. Like for example right now I am having trouble putting together the pieces of my latest blog post and story ‘Sandra’. I already have a layout of what I want to happen I just can’t quite get the right words to describe my vision. But it’s coming along; I’m still working on it.
I am also working on the way I write which has been developing more and more over the years as I read new books. Books. Books, one of the most glorious words in the English language as far as I am concerned. There almost isn’t a single book in my household that I haven’t read (not to boast of course). I love reading. When I read a book I can be transported to where ever the author desires. Whether it is in the middle of the dusty Sahara Desert or the bustling street of eighteenth century London; I can be anywhere. My love for reading stories I think is what inspired me to become a writer and it has become a passion I do on a daily bases. This then leads me to my writing style as a writer. I have noticed that I can either be very descriptive and formal or very playful and modern. I believe this has something to do with what I read which can be either or; formal or informal. Probably one of my favorite books I have ever read is Bleak House by Charles Dickens but I also rather enjoy some more modern stories like City of Bones and of course Harry Potter. It also depends on the story I am trying to tell. If I was writing about a young milk maid in the seventh century I wouldn’t be as informal as I would if it in the twenty first century. But I have noticed that I tend to go a little more formal than playful. Again most likely because of my preferences in reading and me, my, and myself is like that.
Ultimately I’ve surprised even myself over this semester. For one thing I have increased my typing speed considerably since the beginning of the first quarter; I’m no longer using my fingers like chop sticks. I’ve tried new ways of how to deal with my writer’s block (some successful some not). And I have also accomplished my goal of writing at least a paragraph each week. This was a goal I had given myself at the beginning of the year that I thought would be helpful in the future and I was proven right. I can better describe what think on the screen and can now relate to how I feel at the present time which has been proven useful as I have been writing my blogs. I intend to enhance this skill by writing a little more this semester and practicing a little more on developing my story charts.
All in all blogging is fun and I think it is beneficial to the classroom. I enjoy working on my post and always look forward to the next one (although that’s just my opinion). I recommend it to other English teachers in need of assignments of their eager students (sarcasm).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment