So this week I had to find a book to read and I was rummaging through my mother's bookcase when I stumbled upon a beat up paper back book. Reading the back of its dusty surface I figured that it most likely wouldn't be like what my mother usually reads which include corny trashy romance novels you'd find at your local supermarket. As I began to read I became intrigued and without taking my nose out of the book I plopped down on the living room couch and began to read.
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon is about a young woman named Claire Randall, former combat nurse in World War 2, who walks through the standing stones of the famous Stonehenge in Scotland and is transported back in time to 1745! Taken place during the raids and wars of the Highland clans the novel is filled with entertaining plots and intense romantic scenes that well make your heart go Ba-dump, Ba-dump!
I would have thought the whole thing a fancy-dress show of some type, had it not been for the injuries of the young man they called Jamie. That wound had indeed been made by something very like a musket ball, judging from the evidence it left behind. The behavior of the men in the cottage was not consistent with any sort of play- acting, either. They were serious men, and the dirks and swords were real.
Could it be some secluded enclave, perhaps, where villagers reenacted part of their history periodically? I had heard of such things in Germany, though never in Scotland. You've also never heard of actors shooting each other with muskets, either, have you? jeered the uncomfortably rational part of my mind.
This quote just really spoke to me or should I shot me wink wink hint hint...never mind because it made me wonder how I would react to being sent back a few centuries without my consent. Rubs chin in thought, tries and fails to balance a pencil on the tip of nose. I would most likely be running around like hell, cussing and then fall in a dead faint...Yep that's my plan God I'm ready to go.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment